Tuesday, January 22, 2013

My Twenty Hour Day



It is one fifteen in the morning. I have been awake since five a.m. The alarm went off at four a.m., but  I kept hitting the snooze. (I went back to the bedside, finished until the patient went safely to the floor from PACU, and briefly slept until I wrote the rest...)

I didn't eat an actual breakfast. I had my favorite, vanilla Spirutein, in milk and a cup of coffee in a travel mug as I went out the door.

It was a hurry. Because of the holiday for MLK, there was no school. I took the kids in pajamas to the sitter who lives ten minutes away, in the opposite direction from work.

From seven o'clock in the morning, until three in the morning (all the way through midnight), I saved lives. I did anesthesia on people, almost ten of them; except for one, the surgery was to  save their life. In these situations, anesthesia is a technical challenge. It takes great concentration and vigilance to get a high-risk patient through.

My food for the day was:
six graham crackers in little packets
coffee
one cup of peach kefir
a pear
one small black bean burrito from home
six saltine crackers
one bottle of water
honeydew melon and four orange slices
a small green salad from the salad bar
a small carton of overcooked wheat pasta with flavorless sun dried tomato and baby spinach


All of it was eaten in a hurry--there were no scheduled 'breaks'.

All of this was worth it.

I did not see my kids.
I slept in my own bed (for only three hours--now I get to go back to work after taking the kids to school)

There were two hours of critical care I did in the recovery room, without compensation (recovery room is kind of like an ICU)--it is included in the anesthesia fee from the O.R.

Why was it worth it?

I got to learn a new disease. One that for privacy I can't share here and now, but perhaps later. This disease stopped me in my tracks. It was a surgical disease. The patient was DNR already, and had lived a good life. But the findings! And how easily it was curable! I had come close to canceling the case, the risk was so much.

I am so glad I didn't.

And I hope through my sacrifice of time, energy, and healing, I earned/repaid some Karmanic debt to those who are taking such good care of my mom.

There is nothing I like more than getting into someone's aura and doing some great energetic work. Today, in the day, I did exactly this.

But at night, it was 'living the dream', a phrase we say, when the going gets tough in medicine and you are at the end of a long day. Less Reiki, more Doc. I didn't even have time to Reiki my back when I pulled it moving a patient. I took some ibuprofen instead.

This is how you earn the title of 'healer' in our society. It is not that different from Kahuna in Kanaka Medicine in Native Hawaii--those who stay up all night, healing, using their knowledge of procedures and plants in their work. After many long years of training to be able to become a healer.

Unfortunately our 'healing' is tied to a petrochemical-pharmaceutical economic industry.

But the heart of a healer is always the same: to relieve suffering--to restore Balance and Health.

My 'five pillar table' is greatly imbalanced. Sleep, nutrition, movement, emotions and environment are out of whack. I slept in my clothes after I changed back into them, drove home, and went right to bed.

It will take some time to recover my own balance.

By contrast, Reiki healing work does not deplete.

I look forward to the future of medicine. And I am holding my own in the Medicine we have of today.
Until we can connect it to the healing of Tomorrow. Blessings, Love and Light.

Namaste,

Reiki Doc